Blaze destroys shelters at Al Qardud camp in Sudan

A fire tore through Al-Qardud camp for displaced families in Abu Jubaiha, South Kordofan, forcing 41 families to flee their shelters.

The blaze erupted on Wednesday in southern Sudan’s South Kordofan state, the International Organization for Migration said Thursday.

The agency said the families were displaced by the fire but provided no details about its cause.

Flames reduced about 23 shelters to ashes and partially damaged 18 others, deepening hardship in the fragile camp.

The displaced families moved to open areas within the same locality, seeking safety under the bare sky.

The IOM said it is closely monitoring the situation as affected residents confront urgent humanitarian needs.

Since late October 2025, Sudan’s North, West and South Kordofan states have witnessed intense clashes between the army and the Rapid Support Forces.

On Jan. 27, the IOM reported that 88,316 people had been displaced from the Kordofan region over more than two months of fighting.

Sudan has been gripped by war between the army and the Rapid Support Forces since April 2023.

The conflict has killed tens of thousands and displaced around 13 million people, according to United Nations reports.

Aid agencies describe the crisis as one of the world’s worst humanitarian emergencies, with civilians bearing the heaviest burden.

For families in Al-Qardud camp, the fire adds another layer of loss to lives already uprooted by war.

Scroll to Top