Egypt secures release of three citizens kidnapped in Mali

Egypt announced Sunday the safe release of three of its citizens who were kidnapped in western Mali earlier this month.

The Foreign Ministry said the operation followed intensive coordination with Malian authorities through its embassy in Bamako and consular channels.

Authorities urged Egyptians in Mali to strictly follow local laws, carry identification at all times, and exercise maximum personal security precautions.

Travel outside the capital is temporarily discouraged, the ministry warned, amid persistent security threats from armed extremist groups in the region.

The statement did not specify the circumstances or conditions under which the three men were freed from captivity.

Earlier reports said the al-Qaeda-linked group JNIM had kidnapped the Egyptians, demanding a $5 million ransom to secure their release.

Mali has seen a surge in kidnappings targeting foreigners, including Indian and Chinese nationals, with ransom money funding militant activities.

The United States designated JNIM a foreign terrorist organisation in 2018 and placed its leader, Iyad Ag Ghaly, on a global terrorist list.

Egypt’s successful negotiation underscores regional diplomatic efforts to safeguard citizens amid escalating instability and growing militant threats in the Sahel.

Scroll to Top