Burhan doubles down on war, rejects ceasefire efforts

Sudan’s SAF chief and head of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has once again rejected efforts to halt the war, insisting on preconditions that effectively block any ceasefire while ruling out mediation by key regional actors.

Speaking on Thursday during celebrations marking the National Day of the Liberation of Omdurman, Burhan said he would not agree to any truce unless the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) withdraw from all cities and regroup in designated areas — a position widely seen as incompatible with immediate humanitarian ceasefire proposals.

Burhan also renewed his outright rejection of mediation by the United Arab Emirates, accusing the country — without presenting evidence — of supporting the RSF. He said Sudan would not accept “any initiative that does not satisfy the Sudanese people,” while dismissing discussions currently taking place at the UN Security Council.

Government officials have previously said they welcome mediation led by the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt, but only if the UAE is excluded from the so-called Quartet mechanism seeking to broker a settlement to the conflict, which is now approaching its third year.

Analysts say Burhan’s repeated insistence on maximalist conditions has stalled diplomatic efforts and prolonged a war that has devastated civilian life, displaced millions, and pushed large parts of the country into famine.

The RSF and its allies currently control most of Darfur, West Kordofan, and parts of North and South Kordofan, while the SAF regained control of central Sudan, Khartoum state, and parts of North Kordofan last year after months of heavy fighting.

Despite the scale of displacement and destruction, Burhan doubled down on military escalation, saying the SAF would continue fighting until the RSF “surrenders.” He accused the Sudanese force of widespread atrocities, while rejecting any political or negotiated pathway that would allow armed actors to remain in the field.

“We will fight them until they surrender,” Burhan said, dismissing calls for compromise or phased de-escalation.

Burhan also called on Sudanese politicians living abroad to return to the country, claiming he intends to involve all Sudanese in managing a future transitional period. He announced plans to form a legislative council including youth and local councils — proposals critics say lack credibility amid continued military rule and the absence of any civilian-led political process.

As international pressure grows for an immediate humanitarian truce, Burhan’s latest remarks reinforce concerns that Sudan’s military leadership remains committed to a prolonged war, even as the country faces one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

Scroll to Top