Sudan finds 71.57m-pound education fraud in Burhan’s ministry

Sudan’s National Audit Office has uncovered an alleged 71.57 million Sudanese pound financial violation at the Education Ministry in West Kordofan.

The ministry operates under Sudan’s junta-led administration headed by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, amid continuing political and administrative upheaval.

The audit found that funds were disbursed to senior state officials without documents confirming they received the money, according to an official letter.

The letter, dated Aug. 3, names accountant Ikhlas Zayed al-Bashir as responsible for disbursing the funds under an October 2025 authorization.

The authorization received approval from Deputy Director General Adam Mohamed Adam Salah al-Din, the audit office said.

The funds allegedly included 10 million pounds each for several senior officials, including the state government secretary general and deputy governor.

The beneficiaries also included the education, health, agriculture, infrastructure and finance ministers, according to the audit findings.

Accountants Ikhlas Zayed and Salem Ibrahim allegedly received 500,000 pounds each, while bank charges accounted for another 570,000 pounds.

Auditors said officials failed to provide signed receipts or delivery documents despite repeated requests for evidence of the transactions.

The audit office ordered the full amount recovered from Zayed and called for legal action against her and Adam over the disbursement.

The findings emerge after West Kordofan underwent a major administrative reshuffle, with its former governor and ministers removed earlier this month.

Retired Maj. Gen. Hamed Hamad Tirab subsequently became governor, adding another layer of change to the state’s turbulent administration.

The case highlights concerns over financial controls and accountability within state institutions as Sudan’s governing structures face continued upheaval.

Scroll to Top