SARHO accuses Burhan’s SAF of blocking WFP aid convoy to Darfur

The Sudanese Agency for Relief and Humanitarian Operations (SARHO) has accused General al-Burhan’s SAF of blocking humanitarian aid deliveries to Darfur by detaining a large World Food Programme (WFP) convoy carrying relief supplies intended for conflict-affected civilians.

In a statement issued Saturday, SARHO said authorities in the northern Sudanese town of Al-Dabbah were holding 160 WFP aid trucks loaded with more than 6,000 tonnes of humanitarian supplies, including food and non-food items destined for Darfur.

Regional media reports later put the cargo at approximately 6,194 tonnes, while linking the convoy to planned deliveries for conflict-hit areas across Darfur.

SARHO said the convoy had completed all legal procedures and obtained the necessary transit permits, including authorizations issued by the agency, but was still prevented from continuing its journey.

According to the statement, military intelligence affiliated with General al-Burhan’s SAF blocked the movement of the trucks toward East Darfur, South Darfur and the town of Tawila in North Darfur.

The agency said the convoy had been prepared for deployment since February and March but remained stranded due to the restrictions.

SARHO described the obstruction of humanitarian assistance as a serious violation of international humanitarian law, warning that delays could worsen hunger, malnutrition and disease among civilians, particularly displaced communities across Darfur.

It also expressed concern over the prolonged detention of the convoy, warning of potential spoilage, loss or diversion of supplies away from their intended humanitarian purpose.

The allegations come amid continued disputes over humanitarian access in Sudan, with aid operations increasingly caught between competing authorities and access restrictions across conflict zones.

Scroll to Top