Sudan’s Burhan says sanctions could increase pressure

Sudanese army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan warned Friday that impending international sanctions could target him directly and increase pressure on the country.

Speaking to worshippers in al-Manaqil, Burhan said his government would not bow to external diplomatic pressure despite growing international scrutiny.

His comments follow recent US sanctions over allegations that Sudan’s forces used chemical weapons.

The United States, Britain and the European Union have previously sanctioned lower-ranking Sudanese figures, but top Sudanese Armed Forces commanders have largely avoided direct measures.

Burhan said the war would continue until the armed rebellion across Sudan is completely defeated, despite the growing international pressure.

He also praised residents of al-Jazirah state for supporting government forces during recent military campaigns.

Scroll to Top